Saturday, August 11, 2018

Minimalist Packing: Summer Weekend in New Orleans

In June of 2018 I was fortunate to have 3 days in New Orleans on my own, with lots of ideas and zero actual plans. My goal here was to fit all my necessities in my 18L backpack because I didnt have any hotels booked and no car to store things in either, so I was carrying all my things, all day, every day. I was a success! I knew i was going to be walking around a lot and that its hot outside and cold inside, so tennis shoes and a light jacket were paramount. With such a short trip, I didnt have to worry about laundering anything but its so freaking hot outside that nothing was really wearable 2 days in a row. Except bras, I only ever use one bra. Thats just me though. Anyway here's my packing list and some of the sightseeing and tours, as well as hotels and public transportation I used!

 

EDC-(every day carry) I usually keep phone, kindle, and wallet handy. I use them constantly so either in the front of my backpack or in my small crossbody purse. Also my water bottle gets constant use. I keep it on a carabiner so if I ever go anywhere without my backpack(lol) I can clip it on my purse. I never go anywhere without sunglasses. They also serve as my headband most of the time. Also, keys if applicable. They werent necessary during  this trip so they stayed in the bottom of my backpack. I also always bring a packable tote (that little blue rectangle) because you just never know when you're gonna meed it for snacks or souvenirs or fitting your jacket in your backpack is too much work).


Clothing(including what I was wearing when I took these pictures)
- 2 pairs of shoes- as a rule I bring walking shoes and slip-ons, which in this case are my amazing reef flip flops. I have arch support issues so these have been my go to brand for flip flops for years now. My walking shoes are also my running shoes, Mizuno brand. 
- Lightweight denim jacket
- 3 tank tops
- 1 tshirt 
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 1 very loose fitting pair of thai pants. I adore these for hot climates. Keeps bugs and sun off, but also stays super cool. Bonus: modest when necessary.
- 5 underwear
- 1 extra sport bra
- 1 bikini(didnt end up wearing it, but again, I'd never leave it behind)
Toiletries-
- 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner(white)- also serves as my body soap when none is provided by hotel. I use hotel stuff when available so I dont deplete my stash
- Laundry soap(blue)- didnt use it, but good for when you dont know where youre gonna sleep and might need to wash something. Could have left it out for such a short trip but oh well.
- Sunscreen(pink)- I only used this once, I ended up having a pretty easy time staying in relatively shaded areas. Still wouldnt leave it behind though.
- Bugspray
- Deodorant
- Toothbrush
- Toothpaste
- Razor- shouldnt have briught this for such a short trip lol
- Nail file
- Tweezers
- Feminine products- I have tried so many different products(cups, discs, various tampon/pad combinations. Haven't tried the underwear yet, cant convince myself its a good idea lol) and they just haven't been as reliable as good ole tampons. O.b. is amazingly compact though and without all the plastic applicators and stuff that take up space and produce unnecessary waste.


 
Tech bag- pretty much just powerbank, phone charger, headphones.  the car converter and aux cord were for another phase of this trip, the extra charging cable and wall adapter were totally unnecessary. The other weird looking one is actually the charger for my smartwatch, whether or not I bring my smartwatch depends on if I have room. It's low priority, regular watches suit me just fine. My kindle lasts about 2 weeks, and charges with micro usb when it does occasionally die, so it doesnt need anything of its own. 

Meds bag- almost entirely unnecessary, should have just brought my ziploc of various pills and called it good. I don't think I was thinking when I grabbed this. It has a bunch of random stuff like cough drops, bandaids, moleskin, etc.

While I was in New Orleans I enjoyed a lot of walking around downtown, all of market street and the garden district, bourbon street and the french quarter, and a couple other random places like Marie Laveau's grave in St Louis Cemetary #1. I got my hotels around noon on the day of, turned out to be some awesome deals. The last photo is the lobby in my second hotel room. I also got around mostly on on foot and on the buses and trams, its $3 for an all day pass on the public transportation system. Sweet deal. 


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I stayed at 2 different hotels, Hotel St. Pierre the first night was a really cute little boutique hotel about 2 blocks from bourbon street. It was a really old building but you could tell the remodeling was well kept on the inside. The other one was the St. James Hotel on Magazine street, that's the one with the incredible lobby. This one was a lot more "fresh-feeling" inside, even though the architecture was still very classic.

      Delete

Minimalist Packing: 2 weeks in South Korea

So I'm going to South Korea on monday! I'll be spending 2 weeks. My husband is already there, so I already have a place to stay and...