Saturday, August 11, 2018

My obsession with backpacks

I have a problem. I am obsessed with finding the perfect backpack for traveling. I've decided I ought to be able to fit everything I need in approx 20 liters worth of bag. I like big main pockets so I can customize organization and maximize space. I also like accessible outer pockets that dont add bulk or catch on things (like other people, or airplane seats, or my long tangled hair) and i have to have a dedicated water bottle pocket. I choose to fit all my needs in that small of a space because i like to keep track of my stuff. If your backpack is small you dont need crazy strap systems. You dont need to leave it behind. It wont hurt your shoulders. It wont get in the way. And you dont need a purse.

So I found this cute purple hikpro backpack on amazon, it claims 20L but I honestly think its closer to 16. If it were a rectangle those dimensions would be right but its not. Anyway, I've done a few trips with it at this point and I really think its excellent. For a $17 packable backpack its really quite awesome. Drawbacks through, its not waterproof. Its hardly water resistant. I've been rained on with it twice and while everything survived it definitely soaked through. 

It easily fits my packing cube of clothes, my toiletries cube, tech cube, and waterbottle, and those are the bare minimum requirements. The mesh water bottle pockets make up for not having as much space as i was anticipating. 

So im looking to upgrade to something sleeker. For a while I have been looking at the Tom Bihn Synapse 19 because of the awesome pockets the provide so much organization without making the bag all wonky shaped. I like that the water bottle pocket is centered, i like the bottom pocket for a sweater and socks when i randomly get cold, and i like the side pockets for organizing my tiny things. Plus, one of my favorite youtube minimalists has used this bag religiously for a long time now and she swears by it. And apparently Tom Bihn has amazing customer service. Which is a plus. Runs about $190, but its be worth the investment for me. 



But now I just discovered a new backpack on kickstarter, and it looks like a dream come true. It's rectangular and looks less like a gradeschool backpack, has approximately the same dimensions, but has a quick access panel for laptop which is great for TSA, and its only $130 right now. Full price itll be $170 i think but kickstarter price is lower. I like the side access pocket for my phone and wallet, that would effectively eliminate the purpose of my purse. Oh and the water bottle pocket is hidden in the side, zips up-down, and is apparently large enough for a bottle of wine. So, seems amazing. *Bonus* the canvas is recycled plastic salvaged in haiti and the company provides jobs for the locals. So thats dope. I'm not like, allergic to wastefulness but i do try to use glass and stainless steel for my foodstuffs when plausible. Im one of those, brought-my-own-straw people about half the time right now. 

So this is my current dilemma. What do y'all think? Which would you get?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Minimalist Packing: 2 weeks in South Korea

So I'm going to South Korea on monday! I'll be spending 2 weeks. My husband is already there, so I already have a place to stay and...