Friday, August 10, 2018

Frozen north travel, carry on only.

Okay so, this is actually the largest bag I own for leisure travel. I have a couple major duffels for when I'm actually moving residences but this is more than enough space for my purposes on vacation. This trip was anywhere from -5 degrees Fahrenheit to -30 degrees Fahrenheit, and I needed the extra space for extra layers.

 

I will say the most important part of minimalist packing to me is tailoring your packing list to things you will absolutely use/wear more than once. In this case I was actually traveling to visit my husband, we have never lived together though so I had zero cold weather clothes at his place. So I had to bring them. I didnt, however, need most toiletries, because I just use girly shampoo and deoderant, that's it. And my own toothbrush. Lol.

My purse held pretty much anything I could want on the plane,  even including my water on a carabiner. I take a book everywhere. Powerbank also. And a nail file/tweezers. Idk maybe it's an OCD thing lol.

So, clothes!
- 5 underwear
- 2 bras (underwire and sport bra)
- 2 fleece lined leggings (LOVED THESE)
- high waisted skinny jeans (super stretchy but classy. Im self conscious about underwear lives in leggings, si i really appreciate the jeans)
- 2 sweaters
- 1 flannel 3/4 sleeve blouse
- 2 base layers
- fleece mid layer ( do not underestimate your midlayer! Seriously the difference between either coat alone versus combined with my midlayer is astounding)
- packable, long line insulated jacket (you really want something that comes all the way down over your butt. It makes a HUGE difference if your pants are mostly leggings or jeans, or anything other than snow pants)
- long wool peacoat(this was totally an indulgence, I would have done just fine with the packable only, but i adore this coat. Its about 10,000% NOT packable at all.)
- 3 pairs of wool socks
- black waterproof snowboots, love the faux fur trim, very warm. My toes didnt get cold EVER.
- scarf ( yellow mickey scarf a friend gave me a long time ago. Nothing particularly special about it technically, I just love it. Ive never felt too cold under the parts it covered anyway)
- beanie
- gloves(walmart, surprisingly amazing at insulating)
-Workout shorts/sport bra/tank top (my misplaced ambition. I have learned I wont work out on any vacation under 1 month. )
- Swimsuit (in case we wanted to go to a sauna or spa or something)(we didn't)

So, it turns out that in such climates, its totally plausible to get by for a whole week with about 2 outfits, plus a mid and an outer layer. And enough undies of course. A single pair of leggings would have been fine,  maybe more sweaters instead of dedicated base layers since I'm not sweating like the skiiers those base layers are designed for.  And my extra coat was unnecessary. Either would have been fine, the wool coat was actually extremely effective keeping out the cold but the packable down insulate was more effective against wind.

We walked around the Fargo zoo in -20 F and lasted about 30 minutes before I admitted I couldn't take it anymore.  Obviously the zoo knows that though so there are plenty of inside exhibits.  It was actually my knees that suffered worst,  between my boots and the bottom of my coat, I only had the fleece and jeans, but it just wasn't enough for sustained time outside. The rest of my house body felt great though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Minimalist Packing: 2 weeks in South Korea

So I'm going to South Korea on monday! I'll be spending 2 weeks. My husband is already there, so I already have a place to stay and...