I left the house with the plan to take the kids (the boys are 2 and 4 years old) to see several of my friends up North, then across NY to Niagara falls, down to my mils farm in Ohio, and then across the Northern US to South Dakota to see more family. It ultimately got cut down to one week due to my sciatic pain, I got an MRI and need surgery, but I learned a lot and enjoyed the trip so much that I cant wait to heal from my surgery so we can do it again! My confidence in solo adventuring with the boys has shot to the sky, at least once I heal 😅
Day 1 we drove from DC to Fleetwood, PA, visited our friends Angela and her kids Kieran, Ian, and Jin at the Ironwood train festival! We got to ride some mini trains, climb inside tiny steam engines, and check out huge model train sets. The boys had a blast, the weather was gorgeous, and we had a little picnic in the grass by the van while the younger boys played with the magnet tiles and cars.
We camped in the van at a Harvest Host/Boondocks Welcome site in Pennsylvania that was a private driveway and right behind their house was a huge playground and sports complexes! The boys loved it, we played for several hours before dinner and bedtime.
Day 2 started out great, we were up early and hit the road before 8, drove for a couple of hours, went to a cute playground when jasper had a meltdown, he played in the sand and made a friend, and collected plastic water bottle caps. Asher found a cool spiral pole to spin down. Then we got back in the car and our last 3 hours of driving lasted 6 hours so that was roughhhhhhh. We were like 40 miles away when I was like ILL TURN THIS CAR AROUND 🙃🙃🙃 But we survived and we made it to Aloras house! So excited to be here, she has been one of my best friends for like 20 years, whenever I need an attitude adjustment I call her and she radiates sunshine and goodness and its contagious. Chris is a good friend too, and finally meeting Lucy and grown up Fiona has been such a treat. I'm so glad we get to be here <3
The kids favorite part was kids night at the BBQ restaurant! Asher got his face painted as Leonardo!
Thursday we went to visit my friend Kim from my masters program, she had stayed with us a couple years ago and we were so excited to get to stay with her as well. Her sister in law brought her kids over, theyre almost exactly the same ages as asher and jasper. Asher and Kylie were instant besties with the *SAME* feral sweetheart energy. We went to their house saturday and the kids ran around for like 6 hoyrs, passed out at 530pm and slept for 12 hours straight including me transferring them to their beds 🤣
Sunday we drove home. I had planned on spending the night at another Harvest Host but it was rainy and gross and we made really good time getting across the bridges to NY and NJ so we decided to just finish the drive in one day, stopped just once at an indoor playground right before Maryland, and made it home at 630pm, just in time for baths and bedtime.
The whole trip was honestly great, I cant wait to take them out again when I'm all better.
No comments:
Post a Comment